BIOMASS CO-FIRING NETWORK - NETBIOCOF
NETBIOCOF is a Coordinated Action funded by the European Union under the Sixth Framework Programme
Coordinated Actions are multi-partner actions intended to promote and support the networking and co-ordination of research and innovation activities. They cover the definition, organization and management of joint or common initiatives as well as activities such as the organization of conferences, meetings, the carrying out of studies, exchanges of personnel, the exchange and dissemination of good practice, setting up common information systems and expert groups.
Full title: Integrated European Network for Biomass Co-firing
Contract number: SES6-CT-020007- (SES6)
Project duration: August 2005-August 2007
The primary objective of NETBIOCOF Co-ordination Action is to promote European co-operation between research organisations devoted to biomass co-firing, promoting the uptake of innovative technologies to expand the use of biomass co-firing in new and existing power plants, with emphasis in the New Member States. A biomass co-ordination platform will be established, which will co-ordinate on-going research and strategic activities with the aim of identifying best practices and will propose strategies of implementation and directions for futures research.
THE STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES ON THE NETBIOCOF CO-ORDINATION ACTION ARE
- To encourage the establishment of permanent communication links between research centres, business and other stakeholders in Europe, promoting the know-how exchange and expertise in relation to biomass co-firing.
- To develop adequate recommendations for biomass co-firing implementation in targeted European countries, focussed on the socio-economic, technological, climate conditions, legal and political requirements.
- To initiate and guide future R&D activities on an European level by mapping current research activities and forming research clusters in order to fulfil the scientific and technological needs for the further implementation of biomass co-firing.
- To disseminate and promote biomass co-firing as a sustainable energy source option.
THE SCIENTIFIC AND TECHNOLOGICAL OBJECTIVES OF THE NETBIOCOF CO-ORDINATION ACTION ARE
- To assess on-going research in biomass co-firing in Europe, identifying the gaps in knowledge and the barriers for the cooperation of R&D activities in an European scope.
- To document the state-of-the-art in the European biomass co-firing sector, with a special focus on East and Central European applications, in order to identify successful experiences through the region.
- To identify technical and non-technical barriers for the biomass co-firing further implementation in Europe, in order to propose local and global strategies to overcome them.
EUREC'S ROLE IN NETBIOCOF
EUREC Agency is partner in the network. Our main task is to coordinate and oversee the smooth organisation of 10 local biomass-cofiring seminars in 10 different central and eastern European countries. Local R&D centres will be responsible for the logistics, while EUREC shall monitor the scientific programme and the quality of the presentations, as well as invite the participants.
Member involvement: 10 EUREC members will have the chance to present their co-firing activities at the project's final conference in summer 2007.
Project Website: www.netbiocof.net